The club was formed in 1919 and was known as Heworth St Georges Brotherhood they played in Hall Fields adjoining Heworth churchyard from 1919 to 1939. In 1922 a 2nd X1 was formed.
The Brotherhood was closed down but the cricket section continued until 1939, but changed their name to Heworth St Mary’s C.C.
In 1944 the club was renamed Heworth Cricket Club. They moved to Chilside Rd at the close of the 1948 season and remained there until 1960. In 1949 all games were played away, whilst the square was being prepared.
However in the 1930′s Felling CM (Coldwell Methodist) Cricket Club played at Coldwell Lane which ajoins Chilside Road until the outbreak of war in 1939. They were sometimes referred to as Felling PM, and also played in the Tyne and District league so the must have had some link to the present day Felling CC. No records have been found that show Felling CM resumed after the war.
Pictures of Felling CM from the 1930′s can be seen in the album below, if anyone has any further details we would be pleased to have them.
In 1961 the club was asked to move due to the construction of a road, and therefore moved into the current ground at High Heworth Lane, Felling, where at the request of the then Felling Urban District Council, the name was changed to Felling Cricket Club.
The present ground was previously a stone quarry. Bill Quay Cricket Club were asked to play a match at the new ground to formally open it, both pictures can be seen in the High Heworth Lane album.
Other pictures from the early years can be found in their respective photo albums. Anyone who has memories and/or photos from Felling CC days past are welcome to send details and copies for inclusion in the web site. Contact us at email@example.com